BreweryThe brewery, established in 1840 by Rudolf Jenny from Switzerland, was located at the crossing of Strzelecka and Lubicz Streets. For historical reasons the following buildings have been preserved: scale building, warehouses, malting facilities, a boiler plant with a characteristic 37-metre chimney, steam engine building, fermentation and ageing cellars, brewhouse, residential complex as well as administrative and social buildings.
When Jenny started the brewery in the Wesoła suburb, at that time not being a part of the city of Kraków, breweries of Galicia were still small manufactures. Two plots of land bought by Jenny for the purpose of constructing the brewery, with combined area of 1.67 ha, could accommodate several small beer production facilities of that time, which shows us that his intention was not to start a next little brewery.
After R. Jenny's death in 1853, the brewery was taken over by his son-in-law, Juliusz August John – a merchant from Koenigsberg, who began dynamic expansion. In the 1850s he built a new barrel warehouse, in 1865 cellars, two malting plants, two ice plants, new stables for horses and oxen and installed steam engines and boilers ordered from Zieleniewski. He also expanded the palace on the brewery's premises. John turned the factory into one of the largest breweries first in Kraków and than in Galicia, with 15,000 beer buckets annual production. For comparison, the archduke's brewery in Żywiec produced 40,000 beer buckets a year.
Since 1879, J. A. John's sons: Alfred and Hugo provided day-to-day management of the brewery. They continued father's investments, primarily building new ice plants and cold stores, logistic magazines, factory power plant (1899 – one of the first in Kraków), and in the end transforming old cellars into a restaurant room and building a magnificent residence.
In 1904 the Johns sold the brewery at Wesoła to baron Jan Götz – Okocimski, a landowner and the owner of Okocim brewery. In the same year he started a significant modernisation of the factory, building a new production building with a racking hall, cold store, washing room, barrel storage and sending room; he also added two ageing cellars. Two years later, he built the third steam boiler in the brewery. These investments made the brewery one of the biggest industrial works in Kraków – in 1914, 36,000 hectolitres of beer were produced there. As a part of the modernisation drive, Götz turned the restaurant established by the Johns into a cinematic theatre for 340 viewers.