History of the MuseumThe Museum of Municipal Engineering was established on October 1, 1998 by the City of Krakow and received the historic halls of the oldest tramway shed as its seat.
The origin of the Museum dates back to 1975, when during the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of public transport in Krakow, the concept of creating a transport museum in Krakow emerged. The Historical Section of the Municipal Transport Company in Krakow, created in 1984 and lead at first by Jan Koźmic, has significantly contributed to organising the new museum. Efforts of its members resulted in 1985 in registration of the św. Wawrzyńca Street tramway shed architectural complex in the Krakow landmark list, as no. A-680.
Members of other technology-related institutions, such as the Transport Engineers and Technicians Association or Public Transport Lovers Club, were also involved in creating the new museum. It is impossible to overstate the role of Krakow Technology Artefacts Protection Society created in 1990, whose actions quickened establishment of a technology museum in Krakow.
February 15, 1994 was an important day in the history of the museum's creation. Then the MPK Kraków Sp. z o.o. Historic Fleet Storage Facility was opened in the 1901 narrow-gauge electric tramway shed at Św. Wawrzyńca Street. Both the Facility's collection and the place itself have become a starting point for the collection of the Museum of Municipal Engineering.
When the Museum was established, the process of restoring its buildings and adapting them to the Museum's purposes began. In 2000 renovation of the narrow-gauge electric tramway shed, workshops and power plant began – today it is the hall D. Then, in the years 2006-2007, the horse tramway shed, or hall E, was restored, and in the years 2007-2008 the 1912 hall, built for normal-gauge electric tramways, was restored as well. Currently it is the hall F. At the same time rails leading to this hall were laid, connecting the Museum with the city rail system and enabling "reviving" historic tramways, riding the Streets of Krakow from time to time, e.g. during holiday period as the Krakow Museum Line.
The years 2008-2009 were the periods of restoration of the former seat of the Krakow Tramway Company, an 1882 building, currently serving as the Museum administration building. Over the next years the warehouses, also from 1882, were restored. The Museum's yard was also taken care of, with its uppermost layer removed. A historic 1923 petrol tank was discovered then. Nowadays it is exhibited under a glass pyramid.
At 68 Al. Pokoju, in the Aviators' Park, a division of the Museum – Stanisław Lem Experience Garden – is located. It is an outdoors exhibition park, where interactive experiments in acoustics, mechanics, hydrostatics, and optics enable learning the laws of physics while playing.