Kraków power plantThe plant was built in the years 1904 – 1905 at Dajwór Street, on land purchased from the Canons Regular of the Lateran. The architectural and construction works were headed by Jan Rzymkowski, the municipal building inspector, and the implementation of the electrical part was supervised by Kazimierz Gayczak, a subordinate of the Kraków Gasworks management. Power plant was equipped under A.W. Schlayen's supervision. The Kraków power plant became an independent facility only in 1908 – earlier it had been a part of the municipal Gasworks, already existing at that time. The power plant, providing heat as well, remained operational until 1984.
The power plant was equipped with two 300 hp units consisting of 200 kW DC generators with a voltage of 2 x 200 V and powered by combustion engines. These machines were installed due to the proximity of the gas plant.
In 1906, a contract for power supply to the train station in Plaszow was signed. This involved the necessity of power transmission to the station, so a spinning power inverter was installed in the plant, enabling production of three-phase alternating current.
Due to high demand for electricity, in the years 1906-1907 two two-cylinder 600 hp steam engines with a Lentz valve control system, produced in the Zieleniewski factory in Kraków. These machines drove the DC generators with a capacity of 0.4 MW and three sectional Babcock – Wilcox system boilers, each with 260 m2 heating surface. The total capacity of the plant thus increased to 1.840 kW in 1907.
In the years 1906 – 1908 the power plant was expanded, with new buildings designed by Jan Rzymkowski. Additional three sectional boilers system Babcock-Wilcox with 260 m2 heating surface were installed in the years 1909 – 1912 in the expanded plant. Two condensation turbine sets, with a capacity of 0.75 MW, generating three-phase AC voltage of 5 kV, were also installed. For the first time steam turbines were used to drive generators. The expansion enabled electrification of the entire city with alternating current.
As a result of the facility opening in 1913, the first Street lights were used in the Planty area, powered from the power plant at Dajwór Street.
The next expansion took place in 1914. As previously, J. Rzymkowski was the author of the new building designs, i.e. the new machine hall and the new boiler hall. Two Garbe system steam boilers with a heating area of 505 m2 and two turbine sets with the power of 3,000 kW were installed in the new buildings, increasing the power plant capacity to 7,500 kW.
Further expansions and modernisations took place in 1924, 1928 and 1931. As a result of these changes, improving the plant's capabilities, it started reselling technological steam – first for the Grzegórzki-based municipal slaughterhouse and the "Semperit" factory, manufacturing rubber products.