Railway viaduct

The viaduct over the Lubicz Street was designed by a Kraków architect Teodor Talowski and built in the years 1896-1898. The investment was financed by the Austrian state railways. This structure was the first civilian two-level crossroads in Kraków.

Until the construction of the viaduct, the Lubicz Street crossed the railway tracks on the same level, which resulted in significant congestion on the very important route to Mogiła.

The construction of the viaduct was conducted in connection with lowering the surface of the Lubicz Street, framed with retaining walls. The viaduct span has a metal structure, supported by 16 stone columns, arranged in two parallel rows in the Lubicz Street lowered part.

The retaining wall, built of sandstone from Ciężkowickie, has variable height, adjusted to the depth of the trench. The rusticated wall was fragmented with rysalits. In their axis, over the wall, stone pillars covered with roofs were placed. At the entrance to stone stairs next to the viaduct, stone columns were placed, which in their higher part originally served as support brackets for gas lamps, also designed by Talowski, that unfortunately have not been preserved.

After both sides stone stairs were made: on the south side two lane broken stairs and on the north side, the side of the train station, single lane, straight stairs with a platform. Also on the north side in two places there were narrow stairs leading to the railway workers settlement.

Forged metal ornaments of the viaduct and the retaining wall were made by Joseph Gorecki's Kraków-based firm – the same company that made, among others, the Giewont cross and the gate of the monastery on Skałka. The viaduct railings originally were decorated with monograms of Emperor Franz Joseph (1830 – 1916), as the opening of the bridge coincided with the 50th anniversary of this monarch's coronation.

 

More information:

Podkop na ulicy Lubicz w Krakowie, „Czasopismo Towarzystwa Technicznego Krakowskiego” 1898/12

J. Jurczak, P. Krakowski, Karta ewidencyjna zabytku: wiadukt i podkop Talowskiego, materiały Służby Ochrony Zabytków w Krakowie