Vistula BoulevardsThe boulevards designed by Roman Ingarden were along the stretch of the from the river mouth of the Wilga river to the Dębnica lime kilns, located at that time below the Karol Ludwik Galician Railway Bridge, which is now a railway bridge, located between the Powstańców Śląskich and Kotlarski bridges. The work took place in the years 1907 – 1913, while work on the boulevards in Podgórze began at the mouth of the Wilga in autumn 1911, on the Kraków bank in spring 1912.
Boulevards were intended as a part of the flood protection of Kraków and Podgórze cities, which until 1915 constituted independent urban organisms, and at the same time serve as an element of the channel Danube - Oder - Vistula - Dniester, one of the most ambitious investments of the Habsburg monarchy, initiated at the beginning of the twentieth century. The construction of new channels was lead by the Imperial-Royal Waterways Construction Directorate in the Ministry for Trade. The flood that hit Kraków in 1903 caused the state funds from the emergency water structures to be spend on construction of flood protection for Kraków and Podgórze – and this part of the investment would be lead by the Governorship. The city of Kraków joined the investment, e.g. by providing land for construction.
R. Ingarden, Adam Bielański and Artur Born worked on the flood protection designed in the Governorship. At the request of the municipality of Kraków, care was also taken of the aesthetics of the building, with ornamentation designed by an architect and a city councillor, Jan Peros. According to his design, the pilasters were added to the walls. The upper part of the outer walls, under slab cordons between the pilasters, was divided by pillars, framing concrete niches. The works were carried out by a branch of the Waterways Construction Directorate, supervised by a senior adviser of civil engineering, Jan Czerwinski.
On both sides of the Vistula boulevards, walls were built, lower internal and higher external. Between the outer and inner walls, on both sides of the river, reloading facilities and harbours were arranged, with the width of 16.5 m on the right – Podgórze side and 20 metres on the left – Kraków side. These so-called "lower platforms" were provided with hard-surface roads and track. On the left side, the double track was connected through a ramp with the Kraków Grzegórzki railway station (next to today's Galeria Kazimierz), and on the right the single track was connected to an industrial track, leading from the station in Plaszow to industrial plants in Zabłocie.
On the right side of the river, "in the fields of Plaszow and the old Vistula riverbed in Dąbie", a river port for inland navigation was planned, which was to be connected by tracks to the railway station in Plaszow, while on the left side of the river the Zieleniewski company was to build a shipyard.
For the road lower boulevards to connect to the upper ones, ramps 6 m wide were made, three on the side of Kraków and two on the side of Podgórze. For pedestrians, stairs were made, allowing descent from the top of the outer boulevards down to the "lower platforms."