Railway bridge over the old bed of the VistulaRailway bridge over the old bed of the Vistula River, today over Grzegórzecka Street , is one of the oldest surviving bridges of Kraków. Built in the years 1861 - 1863 by Charles Louis Galician Railway at the Kraków – Lwów line, it replaced an earlier wooden bridge. Railway bridge became a viaduct after the Old Vistula bed was filled with earth, which took place in the years 1878 - 1880. The investment was supervised by Maciej Moraczewski, who at that time was the Municipal Construction manager and the author of the architectural design of another object on the trail, the fire station.
It is a five-span bridge, with spans 10.8 m long and height of almost 7 m. The superstructure consists of brick vaults closed with semicircular arcs, with 11.2 m spacing between the headboards. The vaults are based on massive pillars with a width of 2.18 m. The pillars and abutments of the bridge were made of sandstone, while side walls were constructed as cyclopean masonry, or large blocks of natural stone, hewn into the form of irregular polygons.
The bridge was built for a double track railway line. Its total length is 98.6 m and width is 11.8 m. The scale of the investment is evidenced by the fact that it is still operational and fully usable both for the railway and for the wheel traffic underneath.
On the east side of the viaduct, the side of Grzegórzecka Street, in tondos over the pillars, the date of the opening of the bridge has been preserved: 1863. Accordingly, from the Dietla Street side, in circles above the pillars, GKLB letters were placed (Galizische Karl Ludwig Bahn - ie .: Charles Louis Galician Railway). They were removed in the 1950s.