Schindler factoryFactory at 4 Lipowa Street was built in 1936, on land purchased from Kraków Factory of Wire, Mesh and Iron Products. In January 1937 the metal products factory "Rekord" began operation (First Lesser Poland Enamelware and Tin Products Factory "Rekord" Ltd.), founded by the Jews Izrael Kohn, Wolf Luzer Glajtman and Michał Gutman. In June 1939, the company declared bankruptcy – in March of this year, it ceased production.
With the beginning of the occupation, the company was subjected to German management, and in November 1939 Oskar Schindler became the trustee. He was a German Moravian, a son of a manufacturer of agricultural machinery, in the 1930s before the fall of Czechoslovakia, a sales representative of Moravian Electronics in Brno and at the same time an associate of the Abwehr. Schindler leased the factory from January 1940 to 1942, in 1942 took it over and ran it until 1944 evacuation to Bohemia. He employed, among others, the Jews threatened with extermination. Schindler greatly expanded the factory, partially with funds of the former co-owner Abraham Bankier and probably also other Jews whom Schindler hired. He built, among others, the main, three-storey office building at Lipowa Street, factory hall housing lathes and presses, warehouses, including a model room and a cutting room. His Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik manufactured primarily for the needs of the army, and probably for the "black market", dishes, enamel, military mess tins, cartridge cases, cannon shell and bomb fuses. At the end of World War II, O. Schindler decided to evacuate the plant and its employees to Brünnlitz in Bohemia, ending production in the factory.
After World War II, from 1948 to 2002, the facilities at Lipowa Street were used by the Telecommunications Subsystems Factory TELPOD, and expanded to fit its needs.
In addition to the production halls and the administrative and technical facilities behind the entry gate, a weighbridge manufactured by the Polish Railway Signals and Equipment Plant in the 1930s has been preserved.
Currently, the administrative part of the site of the former plant is a branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków – Schindler's Factory, while the production halls were given to the Museum of Contemporary Art MOCAK.
M. Bednarek, Deutsche Emailwarenfabrik Oskara Schindlera w Krakowie w latach 1939-1945, "Krzysztofory. Zeszyty Naukowe Museum Historycznego Miasta Krakowa" 2004/22